Site Metrics and Web Analytics by NextSTAT Why Kids Are Great: So Long 2012!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

So Long 2012!

End of the year... picture style

We've been busy over Christmas Break and I didn't have a lot of time to post here, So I'll  paraphrase with some pictures, memes, and kid-isms.



The first Monday after the CT school shooting was Logan's class party. So many people were nervous that it would go poorly, the teachers would say too much, or there would be copycat episodes. I was afraid a kid (probably mine) would blurt out what s/he heard on the news or his/her parents said over the weekend. It was business as usual for a class of rowdy 1st graders. I read them How the Grinch stole Christmas and we all made crafts. The teacher was visibly relieved that it went so well.





Heh... Guilty Conscience collection. 







Logan: If everyone's phones just stopped working that would be bad. We would have use those big flat things with the long string in the back... and the spirally spring connector piece... 
Me: You mean a telephone with a cord? 
Logan: Yeah! one of those big telephones with bumpy buttons. 




Random thought from Kendal: Books are the best thing EVER!!!





This is how Kendal feels about ANYTHING healthy. Especially vegetarian sausage.






If you haven't watch TED talks, you should. I found this series and I LOVE IT!! (Mind you I read psychology textbooks in my spare time) There is amazing information in here about everything from schizophrenia to aspergers to Alzheimers. Just amazing stuff for my fellow psych friends. 


I always said that someday when my kids are older and hate me (teenagers) I'll go back to school for psychology. I just thought of the best stress relief during therapy ever: Bubble wrap. Big rolls of it. You can choose any size bubble sheet you like. This way I will instantly know if a question or conversation makes the person nervous or angry. Over time I will be able to tell more about them by what size bubble wrap they choose. I prefer the big ones. You can plug the first hole and pop those bitches again if you want!








 I'll have the coolest psych office ever. 
This would be my coffee table book in the waiting room..




Done.





I bought Logan the last Diary of Wimpy kid book. He sat in the cart and read while I shopped. When we left the store he was on page 32. When he went to bed he was on page 100. This morning he woke me up at 10ish to tell me he was done with his book. NOW what am I gonna do? That was supposed to keep him occupied for at least a couple days. He is currently re-reading his favorite parts. 



Logan found the Harry Potter wand he got for his birthday. I am trying to clean the house and get ready for some grocery shopping and he keeps hitting me with "confundus and "Petrificus Totalis" makes is REALLY hard to get things done. I was going to lock him out of my room but he also knows "Alohomora" I give up.


One night I met some friends for a candle light vigil down at Flagler Beach in memory of people who were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary. It was really very beautiful. All the names were read and a short biography about each person. They weren't just names, they were women and children. That is how they should be remembered. 

The paper lanterns were beautiful
Bags and candles left on the beach.


One of the good things about Christmas Break is plenty of free time to spend with friends. We met up with Susan, Nick, and Mia and headed out to Matanzas National Monument. It was the look out tower for the St. Augustine Fort. Anyway. The kids were super excited for the boat ride (pontoon across the river)







Mia: Oh Mom, Look, there is the castle where the princesses live!
Kendal: Oh Mom, Look, it's CAMELOT!! Lets go in and get that grail. 





On Thursday night before break a friend was panicking a little because her kid (Logan's age) didn't have anything dressy to wear for his Christmas program. Since my kid loves to dress up I figured I'll just get something that BOTH kids can use. I found a super cute 3 piece suit at wal*mart and dropped it off for her to use first. When she brought it back, Logan started handing out books and ran back inside to INSTANTLY get dressed up. He thinks he's all grown up now and looks pretty damn handsome!


Loopy got selected for Jury Duty last week.When he told his new boss he was worried that she would tell him to make up the time or just come in later. But she just said "wow, that's a drag." And dropped the subject. Then he was chosen to be ON a jury. (again, shockingly, it was not an issue for his employer) The only downside to this is trying to talk to Loopy after he spends the day in a jury box. It is irritating. He cross examined me about a conversation on conspiracy theories and gun control. We were agreeing but he totally lawyered me. Hand in his pocket, gesturing.. I told him to go away. 

A friend posted this fantastic video on Facebook. It has been in my head for about a week now. Here you go. 


I saw this picture on FB for how to keep a cat off the computer. I have always said having cats and kids is pretty similar. Here is an example.
Loopy was having issues with kids on the laptop while he was tinkering on facebook (OH YES, we found a way to suck him in) So he suggested we find boxes for the kids to get them away from him Worked like a charm. 






See? Happy kids in boxes














The size of the box really doesn't matter, they are happy to climb right it.

I got pulled over on the way home from the grocery store on Christmas Eve. First thing I do is make sure my seat belt is on. The first thing Logan does is UNBUCKLE and jump out of his seat to see the cop standing at his window. I got out of the ticket and Logan got a long lecture from the police about always wearing his seat belt. (which he ALWAYS does) He was trying so hard not to cry and explain that he just wanted to see and dropped his paper on the floor. I nearly went mamma bear on the cop for going a little too far and scaring him to the point of tears. Logan honestly did nothing wrong. He is still upset about this a week later. After the cop walked away Kendal let out a nervous giggle like she just got away with something.

Um Yeaaaaah, I'm gonna need you to go ahead
and come in on Christmas tomorrow... 

Loopy left work at 3pm Christmas Eve and headed to pick up some stuff at Target and he was still home in time for dinner on Christmas Eve. This has not happened without repercussion in years. 'Real World' for the win.






Christmas Eve Loopy was passed out on the couch while I wrote a little poem.










Me and Logan left out the milk and cookies for Santa. Yeah, in a Corona cup, guarded by Tiki Guys. It's Florida, what can I say.








Merry Christmas!!

I 'Mustache' you a question. 

Getting down to business!
LOVES her dinosaurs!!

I got a SKATEBOARD!!!
Yeah we got the pads, but he didn't have time
to get dressed or wear shoes.
Practice. Practice. Practice.


Hungry Hungry Hippos and Mouse Trap!!
Kissing dinos

Hugging Dinos
Logan got THIS awesome shirt from Aunt Kris.
And also did his own hair. Wowsers.
Using his new electricity kit. It works,
the hair is also working for the scientist look. 

Look mom! I have an idea!

Logan was MOST excited about his skateboard. Obviously. He was riding it back and forth in the house for 7 hours. SEVEN. HOURS. Gotta say his balance was way better than it was this morning. 

Kendal was most excited about her dinosaurs and new squishy animals. That went about the way we expected. My parents got her a doll in attempts to not limit her toys. It stayed on the floor where she opened it for about 3 days. I finally had to move it to the playroom yesterday cause it was creeping us out. I kept thinking there was an unconscious child on the floor. (I think she was using it for wrestling practice with Logan today though, so don't worry grandma, its getting used)


The day after Christmas was incredibly mellow. The kids were happily playing with their new stuff. Logan was working on creating a permanent groove in the floor by the sliding doors while practicing his balance. Adriana and Sean came over in the afternoon to hang out for a while and exchange presents.



Loopy came home and said his day at work was also "Fun and Relaxing" I love that he is all smiles and laughing with us, cracking jokes. I wonder how long this "Moment of Sanity" will last? No complaints here.

Friday was the first time Logan tried to skate at an actual skate park. He is such a lady's man. The girls were lined up at the fence to cheer him on! Some of the older kids were really nice and helped him get more comfortable on the ramps and learning the basics. He REALLY loves this sport!











Also, Kendal LOVES to swing.


Other than time at the park, the kids have been finding new places to keep their new toys. Mostly on, under, and near the couch. Smaller items and skateboards are kept directly in walkways.








Luckily I have great friends, so this also applies.

Friday night I went out with Karry. We stayed up drinking coffee, shaking, and talking until the UPS trucks showed up in the Bealls parking lot. Gotta say she is one great coffee buddy. As for this ----->
That happened when I got over zealous in conversation and spilled my coffee everywhere. That was about 2 hours and unknown cups into it...
Coffee time is ALWAYS my favorite. 

Saturday was spent sleeping in and playing with our new toys. Loopy took Logan to the skate park for a bit to practice. Later that night I was bored and suggested we head up to St. Augustine to see the beautiful lights on the Christmas train. This is what I had envisioned.



And we did ride the Holly Jolly Christmas Train, but Loopy got a wicked bad case of indigestion from his new meds, Logan got in trouble for being incredibly annoying, Kendal had to pee and everyone was really really cold. It was beautiful, just a little stressful. I am happy to say they ALL fell asleep on the way home and I enjoyed the silence.



Today we slept in some more, played with our toys and I took Logan to a new skate park. This place was great because I got to sit in the car with the heat on and read while he scooted around and watched the big kids. I love that the big kids are so nice to him and try to teach him new things. Lord knows he won't listen to me and gets really frustrated if I suggest anything.

Maybe I'll write something reflective and deep tomorrow. Depends on how much wine I drink. We aren't goin' anywhere so we'll see what happens. If I don't get back to this before then:

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment